Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Progress Prompt #10

I skipped # 9 since it refers to holidays. I will go back and use that one when we are approaching the holidays later this year.

[10.] Among many online weight loss journalers, rewarding themselves for meeting goals is a big part of their weight loss journey. Does planning a reward really work for you? Is it for your short-term or long-term goal? What are the rewards you usually give yourself? Is it a good idea to reward yourself with food? Why or why not? What's your ultimate reward for when you meet your goal weight?

This is a tricky question for me. I have been such a yo-yo weight loser for such a long time that I still haven't quite figured out what works for me. I will try to answer these as I feel today but I may have to come back to this idea after I have learned a bit more about myself.

Does planning a reward really work for you?
Historically it hasn't but over the last few years my views on finances, instant gratification and patience has really changed. I hope to incorporate some rewards but haven't come up with anything yet.

Lately, I have been looking forward to the reward of how my body and muscles will feel, of how I will feel proud of myself, of what I have to look forward to be able to do (like skiing. Something that I have been fearful of doing). I don't focus on what I will be able to purchase at a store as much. Although, lets be honest, being able to shop at any store and possibly buy items that have a lower number is highly motivating. :)

Is it for your short-term or long-term goal?
Weight goals:
My immediate goal is to break into the "22_".
My short-term goal is to get into "19_".
My long term goal is to be in the low 140s.

Other goals: become a runner. become a better dancer. learn how to ride a bike.

What are the rewards you usually give yourself?
N/A

Is it a good idea to reward yourself with food? Why or why not?
WW doesn't think that it is a good idea. I agree and disagree. Going along with another WW philosophy, nothing is off limits I would like to think that I could congratulate myself with something that I love to eat. Checkout what Sheryl's post on what she did when she hit her WW goal. I now know that food isn't what got me to this point, it was my mind. My lack of self-love and care that translated into no portion control, poor choices and using it as inappropriately. I hope and pray that when I reach goal I will be so much further along on this path that a treat won't throw me overboard.


What's your ultimate reward for when you meet your goal weight?
I have three major ones: plastic surgery to remove the organic apron that is now my lower abdomen, compete in a large ballroom competition fancy gowns and all, go to Italy. Now, I can just hit the lottery at the same time I hit goal so that I can fund these dreams? :)

No comments: