Friday, April 20, 2012

Progress Prompt #15

[15.] Do you suffer from poor body image, low self-esteem or depression due to your weight?

Are you freaking kidding me?

Hum, YES - I have suffered on and off with all of them: poor body image, low self-esteem or depression.  Just today I have poor body image dialed up to 150%. 

What are you doing to heal yourself? 
I blog - even if I don't post it.
I take a self-portrait almost every single day.
If you know me in the real world you know that I LOVE pictures: mine, others, random. Me and Flickr are having a love affair. It is then really interesting that I have a picture blackout in my life.  Years upon years of maybe 10 pictures total of me. By far, this process of taking a picture of myself is the most positive thing I do each day.  One of my favorite active (aka keeps it moving, is active, not-a-couch-potato) does this as well thus proving I am not complete narcissistic.  Or maybe just proving that there are enough of us out there to make a club.
I weigh myself each day.  Again - there was a blackout period of never weighing in. 
I surround myself with positive images, people and things. Choose to be with people that believe that change can happen and believe in me. I already have enough nasty self talk going on in my head and don't need any external ones. 
The mirror is my friend.  When i first started taking ballroom dancing lessons that hardest thing wasn't the steps, it was looking at myself in a full-length mirror.


How do you maintain a positive outlook or attitude?

Being present.  Paying attention to what I am thinking about myself at all times.  This is a work in progress on most days and I don't really know how to answer it today. I hope to be able to have a much more comprehensive answer some day.  For today, being present is the most important thing.

No comments: