Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Hello, Pilates

Last night I took the plunge and took a pilates class.  It was a very simple sequence and completely at my level, thank goodness!  Many years ago I took pilates classes for 12 weeks and loved it.  I felt such improvement in my strength and ability...and as is my pattern....I stopped.  Why you ask?  Your guess is as good as mine.

I am super proud that:
a) I walked into the class.  It was a 5:45pm class provided at the gym at work.  This meant that I spent all day convincing myself of going to the class. Then flaking out.  Then convincing myself that I wanted it. Needed it.  And then...flaking out. 
b) I tried level II moves each time she showed them and was able to successfully do many of them.  Very exciting to realize that I am not as weak as I think at times.
c) I sat facing the mirror and really looked at myself in my full glory.  This self awareness is something that I miss from dance.  Living in the moment and moving right through it.

Here are a few of the Pilates moves I attempted yesterday.  I couldn't find a reference for the one I found the most challenging: controlled sit. 


Corkscrew

Bridge


Controlled sit: can'

No comments: